On Nov. 7 the office of Congressman Henry Cuellar (D-TX28) will host a Home Repair and Energy Efficiency Workshop for Starr County residents.
“During the month of August, my grants coordinators traveled across the Rio Grande Valley communities in the 28th District of Texas as part of an effort to ensure that federal resources are allocated to address local needs,” said Congressman Cuellar.
“During that tour, we heard from local leaders and elected officials in Starr County that there is a need for more resources for home repair and weatherization, especially for the elderly and low income families. Weatherization efforts such as fixing roofs, ensuring that homes receive proper heating and cooling, and other general repairs can raise property values throughout the community. I encourage residents across Starr County to attend this workshop so that they can learn about federal resources that match their needs.”
The workshop will be hosted by Congressman Henry Cuellar’s Outreach Coordinators and will provide a broad array of information on home weatherization, preservation, and repairs. The program is designed to provide senior citizens, low-income families, Americans with disabilities, and veterans the opportunity to meet with Federal and State agencies and apply for programs that meet their specific needs.
The event will include a presentation and a fair with booths for residents to ask questions and start applications. Following this event, Congressman Cuellar’s grants coordinators will follow up with the individuals who attended to ensure that they have completed applications and received federal funds.
What: Weatherization and Home Revitalization Workshop
Who: Participants will include:
· Office of Congressman Henry Cuellar (TX-28)
· Texas Department Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA)
· US Department of Agricultural Rural Development (USDA-Rural Development)
· American Electric Power (AEP)
· Community Resource Group (CRG)
· Community Action Corporation of South Texas (CAC)
· Costal Bend Center for Independent Living
· Federal Home Loan Bank of Dallas
· Habitat for Humanity of the Rio Grande Valley
· Medina Electric Cooperative, Inc
· Texas Veterans Land Board
· VA Texas Valley Costal Bend Health Care System Starr County Administration
· South Texas College
· Starr County Industrial Foundation
· Rio Grande City Administration
· Texas Office of the Secretary of State
· Roma City Administration
· La Grulla City Administration
· Community of San Isidro
· City of Escobares Administration
When: Thursday, November 7
· 9:45 AM CT – Presentations by Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs, United States Department of Agricultural and Rural Development, and the Veteran’s Administration – Auditorium
· 10:45 AM CT – Fair – Cafeteria
Where: South Texas College, Rio Grande City Campus – Student Services Building/Auditorium
142 N FM 3167 Rio Grande City, TX
Valley Town Crier